The downtown Men’s Mission shelter is grappling with a COVID-19 outbreak.
The Middlesex-London Health Unit (MLHU) said Saturday that at least nine people have contracted the virus, including five staff members and four clients.
Health officials said they were notified of the initial case involving a resident of the shelter at 457 York St. on Dec. 17. The MLHU declared the outbreak after being notified of five additional cases linked to Men’s Mission within the last week.
“While the health unit has not observed ongoing mass transmission within the facility, given the number of cases associated with the Mission within the last week, the declaration of an outbreak is an important step in order to limit any further transmission of the virus within the community,” said Dr. Alex Summers, associate medical officer of health with the MLHU.
The health unit is asking those who work, reside or access services at Men’s Mission to monitor themselves for COVID-19 symptoms and seek testing if they develop any.
“Our team is working closely with Mission Services to implement outbreak measures in order to reduce the potential for any further spread,” Dr. Summers added.
On Saturday, the region saw 128 new COVID-19 cases, leaving the total of active known cases at 1,134.
Additionally, two people, including a woman in her 90s from a long-term care home and a man in his 50s who was not linked to any seniors’ facility, died from the virus. That brings the region’s death toll to 121 since the pandemic began.