5 health benefits of walnuts and ways to include them in your diet  |  Photo Credit: iStock Images
- A healthy diet is another effective way to manage weight and stay healthy
- Dry fruits are packed with nutrition and various health benefits
- Here is what you need to know about the benefits of eating walnuts
New Delhi: When talking about dry fruits, walnuts are a type that often immediately strikes our mind. The hard stone-like cover of this nut contains a crunchy, edible seed that is loaded with nutrition and health benefits. Its perks vary from working wonders to beauty to helping with weight management. Walnuts have also been linked to promoting gut health and reducing the risk of the development of certain cancers. Furthermore, it is easily available, making it easy to inculcate in the diet. Read here to know more about these superfoods.
Benefits of walnuts
Walnuts can be considered to be a superfood due to the immense health benefits it offers. Here are some common perks of walnuts:
- Rich in Omega-3s: Omega-3 fatty acids are available only in some specific types of food. Walnuts are rich in omega-3 fatty acids which can promote cardiovascular health.
- Enables reduction in inflammation: Walnuts contains polyphenols that can help reduce inflammation. This is important as inflammation is one of the root causes of several chronic diseases, including cardiovascular diseases and type 2 diabetes.
- Helps with weight management: Walnuts are a rich source of healthy fats and calories. However, their effect is inclined more towards providing energy than promoting unhealthy weight gain as they can help control hunger.
- Benefits reproductive health: In terms of the reproductive health of males, walnuts can help improve male fertility by enhancing the health of sperm. Furthermore, the consumption of walnuts has been linked with an improved cognitive function. Therefore, it can be helpful to women during pregnancy as well.
- Promotes skincare and haircare: Walnuts are a rich source of antioxidants. This makes them helpful in enhancing skincare and slowing down the process of ageing. Furthermore, they are a source of biotin, which is an essential nutrient required for good hair health.
How to include walnuts in your diet
It is comparatively easier to inculcate foods such as dry fruits in the diet. However, one just needs to be careful about the storage as the presence of fat in the nuts may make it prone to turning rancid. Here are a few ways you can use walnuts:
- Salads: While preparing salads, you can chop some walnuts and sprinkle them on top of the salad ingredients to add a healthy touch to it.
- Desserts: You can chop some walnuts and top your yoghurt, ice cream, curd, or liquid dessert with it.
- Breakfast: One of the easier ways to include walnuts in your diet is to chop them up and add them to your breakfast in oats, muesli or homemade granola bars.
- Homemade sauce: You can look up sauce recipes online, prepare the sauce and add walnuts to it to eat it with bread or pasta.
- Baked items: This is a popular method that can make your baked items healthier. All you need to do is add chopped walnuts to the bread, brownie, or muffin dough before baking it.
Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purpose only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a dietician before starting any fitness programme or making any changes to your diet.
Get the Latest health news, healthy diet, weight loss, Yoga, and fitness tips, more updates on Times Now