Is it possible to lose weight in 9 days? Know the right way to fitness with a healthy recipe, expert tips  |  Photo Credit: iStock Images
- Weight loss is a long and tedious process, that requires a healthy balanced diet, and regular exercise
- However, one should eat according to their body and their requirements
- An expert gives tips on the right way to achieve fitness according to your age
New Delhi: The 9-day-long festival of Navratri is finally coming to end with Dushehra celebrations today, on the 25th of October, this year. The 9-day festivities are not just about the tasty food and holy practices, but are marked by 9 days of fasting. Many people also look at it as a way to lose weight and get fit. However, as we conclude the festival and may weight ourselves again soon, it is important to know what we must expect. Anurupa Bose, nutritionist, Cloudnine Group of Hospital, Bangalore, explains if it is really possible to lose weight in 9 days, and what are some healthy practices we must incorporate in our lives for the right fitness.
We all generally love to fit back into our favourite clothes, lehengas, suits all the time, especially during the festive season. Weight loss is also associated with various heath risks, and therefore, we must ensure we take steps to stay fit.
In this era of the internet, we do find various quick-fix weight loss solutions and try to implement them without knowing the harmful impact they have on our body. Apart from this, few commonly known fad diets like the keto diet, paleo diet, atkins diet etc. have gained a lot of popularity in recent times as an easy method of weight loss in less time. However, always remember the saying that “Fad Diets Are Bad Diets.” because these fancy diets are deficient in one or the other nutrients which are required for different bodily functions and can cause some serious health issues in the long run.
Try to fine-tune your diet with exercises suitable for your age. Remember that weight loss is not miraculous, but it is achievable. There are no magic pills or diets for overnight weight loss. Continuity is the key, even if you lose fewer kgs in 9 days, your healthy meal pattern and physical activity has to be continued on a regular basis, otherwise, you might gain the weight back in no time.
Tips for a healthy body and the right fitness
- Start your day with a detox drink like- cucumber, ginger, mint soaked water, amla chia water or some decoction of jeera /ajwain /methi/ cinnamon that helps to boost up your metabolism, Follow it by some soaked dry fruits – almonds, walnuts, dried apricot, black raisins.
- Along with these energy boosters, a couple of light stretching exercises, yoga, pranayam etc. will help in overall wellness irrespective of all age groups. 30 minutes of daily walk or exercises will benefit your health but one-hour exercises will help in managing the weight.
- Never skip meals or give a long gap in between meals. With larger gaps, the metabolism slows down and the intake is more for the next meal, which aids in weight gain. Try to follow small and frequent meal patterns.
- Avoid fasting and intermittent fasting ideas for weight loss.
- Avoid starchy, sugary and processed food items and stay away from carbonated beverages which are a huge source of empty calories and responsible for weight gain.
- Avoid junk, deep-fried and fatty food items that trigger acidity and heartburn.
- Watch out portion sizes and choose your food items accordingly.
- Hydration is very important in maintaining the fluid balance of the body and water helps to flush out the harmful toxins from the body. Plenty of fluids also suppresses the hunger thereby aids weight loss.
- Don’t count your calories but regulate your diet and do physical activity.
- 20s and 30s is the time to explore more as the stamina is much higher. High-intensity workouts and weight training are more appropriate at this age to strengthen your muscle. 40s and 50s is the time when the muscle becomes stiff and more prone to injury. So, try to take rest for a day in between, which relaxes all the muscles. Don’t rush while exercising whereas do it slowly and try a combination of stretching exercises and yoga to maintain overall well being.
Please note – “In pregnancy, exercise caution while taking any type of fasts, as the baby’s needs are specific and usually fasting is not encouraged. If you are still keen to know how to modify your diet during Navratri, please contact your nutritionist for safe personalized guidance via a video consultation so that you can reach out from the safety and comfort of your homes.
Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purpose only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a dietician before starting any fitness programme or making any changes to your diet.