How Giloy can keep you safe from diseases such as COVID-19, 5 ways to use it in your diet  |  Photo Credit: iStock Images
- Giloy is one of the most popular ayurvedic herbs for immunity boosting
- Giloy is known for its health benefits such as diabetes control, weight management and others
- Know how the herb can help boost immunity, and how you can incorporate it in your diet to stay safe from diseases such as COVID-19
New Delhi: One word that has been over-used in the past few months, and in fact, this whole year, is immunity. With the novel coronavirus infection spreading around the world like wildfire, and no specific cure or vaccine available for it as yet, people have been told that a strong immunity and prevention from contracting the virus are the only ways they can stay safe and healthy.
Indian home remedies and Ayurvedic remedies for immunity have not only proven effective in helping people prepare themselves for the pandemic at hand, they have also become popular all around the world. According to a protocol document issued by the Health Ministry, Union of India, it has been pointed out that the current understanding indicates a good immune system is vital for the prevention of coronavirus infection and to safeguard from disease progression.
The protocol suggests the use of medicines such as Ashwagandha, Guduchi Ghana Vati, Chyawanaprasha, and others as prophylactic care for high-risk population and primary contacts of patients.
Health benefits of Giloy and how the herb can ward off diseases
Giloy is an ayurvedic herb, also known as Amrita or Guduchi in Hindi. The herb has heart-shaped leaves, which are often confused with betel leaves.
The herb, Giloy, has many health benefits. Apart from boosting immunity, it is known to be beneficial for diabetic patients, since it is bitter in taste and helps in managing blood glucose levels. Giloy may also be useful for people who are looking to lose or manage weight, as it improves metabolism. Giloy can also help in detoxing the skin, and help you achieve healthier, better skin.
Giloy is called the “ultimate immunity booster”. It is full of antioxidants which help to detox the body, and improve immunity.
5 ways to use Giloy in your diet
There are many ways in which you can incorporate the herb into your diet. These include –
- Giloy juice – Fresh giloy juice can be consumed to help with immunity-boosting, or to counter the effects of diseases such as dengue, on your body.
- Giloy powder – Giloy powder can be consumed with warm water to boost immunity.
- Giloy kadha – Giloy herb can be added to a herbal concoction called Kadha, made with several ingredients such as ginger, ashwagandha, and others.
- Giloy leaf paste – If you only want to use the herb for better skin, or to heal any wounds, you can make a paste out of the leaves and apply it on the affected area.
- Giloy Capsules – If you or someone in your family is fussy about the taste of the herb, they can opt for giloy capsules that are now easily available in the market. You can consume one capsule each day for better immunity.
Does Giloy have any side effects?
Giloy is an absolutely natural remedy and does not have any side effects in healthy people. However, for people who have auto-immune diseases, the herb can cause the symptoms to become worse since it boosts the immune system. Similarly, for people who have had organ transplants, it is recommended that such immunity-boosters should only be consumed in consultation with a doctor. Giloy should also be consumed under medical supervision if someone is already on medication for diabetes, as a combination of the two can cause extremely low blood sugar levels. Pregnant and lactating women should also consult their doctor before consumption of giloy.
Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purpose only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a dietician before starting any fitness programme or making any changes to your diet.